Bayer Leverkusen defender Jeremie Frimpong has been fancied to make the switch to Manchester United during next summer’s transfer window, according to Sky Sports Germany.
Frimpong has had a top season with the Bundesliga outfit, registering five goals and three assists from 21 games. He has played in both the right-back and right wing-back positions.
The 21-year-old is currently with the Netherlands at the World Cup, but this has not stopped the speculation linking him with a move to Old Trafford.
Sky Sports Germany claim that the Dutchman is now aware of the interest from the Red Devils and would like to make the switch away from Leverkusen soon.
It is added that his move to United is ‘becoming more and more imminent’. Leverkusen are already on the search for a suitable successor for the 2023/24 season.
Frimpong would be a quality competitor for Diogo Dalot
Frimpong has been impressive with Leverkusen this term with eight goal involvements. He has also excelled defensively with 1.7 tackles and one interception per game.
In our view, he should be a quality competitor for Diogo Dalot, who has had no competition for the right-back role. The Portuguese has started 20 of United’s 21 matches.
In comparison, Aaron Wan-Bissaka has played just four competitive minutes. The 25-year-old’s lack of attacking threat has seen him fall out-of-favour under Erik ten Hag.
United would ideally prefer to sign Frimpong in January, but a deal is highly unlikely, considering the Glazers are prepared to sell the club over the coming months.
Frimpong is presently valued at €25 million by Transfermarkt, but Leverkusen are known for holding out for higher fees. They could easily demand €40m next summer.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Man Utd really like Juventus star Gleison Bremer, will cost at least €70m
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe finally completes purchase of minority stake in Manchester United
- Man Utd star Casemiro open to Saudi Arabia move, interest remains valid
- Man Utd pressing to sign Gleison Bremer, strongly targeting summer deal
- Chelsea beat Manchester United to the signing of Sam Jewell
- Man United spending power to be limited this summer amid PSR concerns
- Wan-Bissaka out for two to four weeks with fresh injury but Mount close to availability
- Manchester United could rival Liverpool for Crystal Palace centre-back Marc Guehi if Dan Ashworth can be appointed in time
- Manchester United table offer for Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe
- Manchester United won’t pay £20m for Newcastle director Dan Ashworth