Nice defender Jean-Clair Todibo is ‘waiting’ for a transfer offer from Manchester United, according to French publication Nice-Matin (today’s edition).
The 23-year-old has developed into a quality centre-back during his three years at Nice, and he was called up by France manager Didier Deschamps this year.
It is now reported that the former Barcelona man is on United’s radar as they seek to pursue a new central defender before the transfer window closes.
However, a move looks unlikely to happen at the moment. The Red Devils recently suffered a setback with Harry Maguire turning down a move to West Ham United.
United were aiming to spend on a centre-back after parting ways with the England international, but their plans have been hampered by Maguire’s decision to stay.
Meanwhile, Nice-Matin say that Benjamin Pavard could also dent Todibo’s chances of joining United. He has ‘openly revealed his intention’ to move to Old Trafford.
As things stand, Todibo has not ruled out a late transfer away from Les Aiglons, but he would also be happy to continue with them which is ‘quite a dilemma’ to have.
Todibo would be a better acquisition than Pavard
Pavard has been trying to force through a departure from Bayern. The Frenchman was recently spotted liking a number of posts on United’s official Instagram account.
Despite this, he is not close to joining the club. United recently proposed a €29m offer for the World Cup winner, but Bayern want at least €45-50m to consider his sale.
In comparison, Todibo could be available for around €40m. The ex-Toulouse man is nearly four years younger than Pavard and has more room to develop with United.
Todibo is a strong ball playing defender with good tackling skills. He likes to contest duels and has a good aerial presence. He would be a quality back-up option in the squad.
We would personally prefer United to sign Todibo over Pavard. However, the club face a big stumbling block as they can’t spend without a high-profile exit due to FFP constraints.
Maguire’s departure would have assisted their move for either player, but his decision to stay put has messed up things for United. A new centre-back may not be signed.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action