Manchester United have identified Nice defender Jean-Clair Todibo as their big objective for the January transfer window, according to Sport.
The French centre-back was linked with the Red Devils during the summer transfer window, but a deal did not materialise with Harry Maguire staying put.
United were aiming to offload Maguire to recoup additional funds for the transfer but the former captain opted against parting ways with the club.
Maguire has since turned around his fortunes under manager Erik ten Hag but there are now doubts over Raphael Varane’s future with the Red Devils.
Sport highlight the same and add that Todibo is the ‘big objective’ for United in the next transfer window. He is eyed as a replacement for his compatriot.
Meanwhile, Nice are unlikely to sell him on the cheap and could demand in excess of €40 million with Barcelona owed 20 per cent of the sell-on fee.
Todibo could be Varane’s successor at United
Varane has been a regular on the bench over the past few weeks with Ten Hag clearly preferring Maguire over the Frenchman in the right centre-back role.
The manager does not believe the World Cup winner is suitable for the left centre-back position compared to Victor Lindelof and Jonny Evans.
We won’t be surprised if he leaves in January. Todibo could replace him. The 23-year-old is a strong ball-playing centre-back with good concentration skills.
This season, he has completed 78 passes per league game with an accuracy of 91 per cent. He has won two tackles per outing alongside 2.8 clearances.
The Frenchman has also won 64 per cent of his aerial challenges with 7.8 ball recoveries on average.
For the price mentioned, he would be a no-brainer signing for United. Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s minority stake at the club should boost their chances of landing him.
The British billionaire is the majority shareholder of the French outfit and should give the green light to the transfer, provided the player’s valuation is met.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling