Jamie Carragher has mocked Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana after he conceded three goals in the 3-1 defeat to Brighton & Hove Albion on Saturday.
The Sky Sports pundit recently slammed the Cameroon international for screaming at Harry Maguire during the pre-season friendly against Borussia Dortmund in July, and he did not hesitate to aim a dig at him in a response to Gary Neville on X.
The Red Devils legend was expressing his displeasure at the Glazers after the game, and while he attempted to defend Onana after the former Liverpool star replied to his tweet, Carragher saw it as a chance to mock him.
Onana was not at fault for the defeat against the Seagulls, but the former Inter Milan star should have done better for the third goal.
He has kept one clean sheet in five Premier League games since he joined Man United, which is not good enough for David De Gea’s successor.
The Spaniard kept most clean sheets last term and would have saved some of the goals Onana has conceded.
He has been solid with his ball at his feet but needs to do better with his hands if he is to be a success at Man United.
It is hard to penalise a goalie too much when those in front of him are not doing their jobs, and Onana was let down by his defence.
However, he managed to stop the scores from becoming 4-1 after a huge save low to his left when Ansu Fati raced through one-on-one.
Man United return to action on Wednesday with a trip to Allianz Arena to face Bayern Munich in their opening group game of the Champions League before facing Burnley at Turf Moor next Saturday, and Onana will be eager to prove his quality in those games.
The Red Devils have won two and lost three of their opening five league games in 2023-24 and are currently 13th in the table having shipped ten goals.
They must improve significantly if they want to make anything out of this season.
- 3 goals in last 4 meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return