Manchester United suffered their ninth defeat of the season at FC Copenhagen in their fourth Champions League group game on Wednesday night,
The Red Devils were made to pay dearly for the red card Marcus Rashford was shown in the first half.
The England international striker was given his marching orders after appearing to stamp on the ankle of Copenhagen defender Elias Jelert while trying to protect the ball.
The referee went to check the VAR monitor before sending off the Man United star, but the decision left Jamie Carragher fuming. The former Liverpool defender posted on social media platform X:
Arsenal legend Ian Wright also disagreed with the call.
The Red Devils have been unlucky with officials this term, and Rashford did not deserve to be sent off as his challenge was clearly accidental.
Unfortunately, the officials disagreed and the decision cost Man United as they suffered a 4-3 loss and are now bottom of their group with two games remaining.
They travel to Turkey to face Galatasaray later this month before hosting Bayern Munich in the last game of the group-stage campaign in December.
Advancing to the last-16 of the Champions League or even booking a place in the Europa League knockout round play-offs could prove tricky.
Playing with ten men for the entirety of the second half was always going to take its toll on the Red Devils.
However, some woeful defending did not help matters and their European campaign could be over for the season despite being just a point behind Galatasaray and Copenhagen.
Manager Erik ten Hag is not the best tactician out there and has constantly made some questionable calls, but losing nine of their opening 17 games this season underlines the lack of quality in Man United’s squad.
Their fortunes on the pitch are unlikely to improve from the look of things.
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin