Manchester United graduate James Garner could be handed a first-team chance next season following his impressive season-long loan stint at Nottingham Forest, The Telegraph reports.
The 21-year-old spent the second half of the previous campaign on loan with Forest, bagging four goals from 20 outings. While there was interest from elsewhere, he opted to rejoin the Championship side last summer.
Garner has continued to impress with three goals and six assists from 37 appearances. The England Under-21 star has vastly operated from the defensive midfield role for Forest, who are vying for top-flight promotion.
It is now reported that United are prepared to assess his progress at the end of the campaign, and could be handed a first-team chance. Else, he could be off for another temporary stint, possibly in the Premier League.
Garner has had a positive second spell with Forest. He has been a solid presence in the centre of the park with an average of 1.8 tackles and 1.3 interceptions won per league game.
Since late January, he has taken his game to the next level with seven goal contributions. The youngster will have a key role to play over the coming weeks as Forest eye Premier League promotion after 23 years.
His performances should boost his chances of breaking into the United first-team next term, but it remains to be seen whether he would be afforded with regular first-team football.
Scott McTominay and Fred have been the regular defensive midfield pairing with Nemanja Matic as back-up. United have been touted to pursue a world-class holding midfielder.
Ideally, Garner could be sent out on another temporary stint, this time in the Premier League. It could probably be with Forest if they can end their two decade-long wait for promotion via the play-offs.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Man Utd agree fee with Barcelona for Frenkie de Jong
- Erik ten Hag could hand first-team chance to James Garner
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final