Manchester United attacker Jadon Sancho looks set to miss out on the World Cup this winter after dropping out-of-favour under manager Erik ten Hag.
The England international had a good pre-season under the Dutch tactician and his form was good before the international break with two key goals against Leicester City and Liverpool.
However, he has struggled to replicate similar performances this month. After his 52nd minute substitution at Chelsea, Sancho has been left on the bench for successive matches.
United’s emerging star Alejandro Garnacho was handed his maiden start against Sheriff Tiraspol on the left wing on Thursday. The 18-year-old made a good impression in his 79-minute appearance.
We had anticipated that Sancho would be reinstated into the line-up against West Ham United on Sunday but Anthony Elanga was picked ahead of him on the right wing following Antony’s injury.
While Elanga failed to make the most of his opportunity against the Hammers, Ten Hag delivered another surprise by bringing a midfielder in Scott McTominay off the bench to replace the Swede.
Ten Hag made just one more substitution with Fred coming on for Christian Eriksen in the 79th minute thus leaving Sancho as an unused substitute for the second game in all competitions.
There are now just two matches left before England boss Gareth Southgate picks his 26-man squad and Sancho looks certain to miss the cut. The 22-year-old should be deeply disappointed.
However, many of his Three Lions teammates could feature in Qatar. Harry Maguire and Luke Shaw are certainties while Marcus Rashford should earn a recall too based on his recent form.
Dean Henderson, currently out on loan at Nottingham Forest, faces an anxious wait to find out whether he will be picked among the three or four goalkeepers travelling for the major tournament.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd working on deal to sign Yann Sommer
- Glazers decide to drop semi-annual dividends after £225m summer spending spree
- Manchester United’s World Cup Quarter-Finalists – Predictions & Betting Tips
- How the playing surface at Old Trafford is created
- PSG president open to signing Marcus Rashford on a free transfer
- De Gea: Manchester United yet to open talks over a new contract
- Man Utd target Goncalo Ramos now valued at €80m by Benfica
- Man Utd have advantage over Real Madrid in pursuit of Cody Gakpo
- Man Utd duo should be sold in January after woeful displays against Cadiz
- ‘I will think about it’: Cody Gakpo opens the door for Man Utd transfer in January