Manchester United forward Jadon Sancho produced a brilliant performance off the bench as the Red Devils shared the spoils against Leeds United last night.
The Red Devils were overwhelming favourites for the Roses derby but made the worst possible start with Wilfried Gnonto scoring after just 56 seconds for Leeds.
A Raphael Varane own goal made it 2-0 in Leeds’ favour in the 48th minute, but United made a terrific comeback to pick up a point against their old rivals.
Marcus Rashford continued his rich vein of scoring form with a superb headed goal in the 62nd minute before Sancho levelled the scores eight minutes later.
Sancho made his first Premier League appearance of the season since October and he was up for the challenge with a terrific 36-minute cameo for the club.
The England star bagged the key equaliser in the 70th minute after wonderful link-up play with Luke Shaw but he was also impressive with his overall display.
Sancho looked confident with the ball at his feet, completing 21 out of his 22 passes (95 per cent accuracy). He also provided three key passes while winning two duels.
The 22-year-old lacked the cutting edge in the final third earlier this season. He barely took on opposition defenders with a lack of confidence being evident.
We saw a different Sancho yesterday. He looked like the player from his Borussia Dortmund days and definitely appears transformed after the recent break.
The manager sent him on a special training programme to the Netherlands during the winter period and the decision seems to be proving worthwhile already.
Hopefully, the £53 million-rated star will be rewarded with a starting role against Leeds at Elland Road on Sunday. United must make a quick start off the blocks.
The club are currently four points ahead of fifth-place Tottenham Hotspur. They must return to winning ways with a Champions League spot on the line.
United boss Erik ten Hag should make more than one change. Facundo Pellistri could be handed his full Premier League debut after yesterday’s showing.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Sofascore.com
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books
- ‘High hopes’: Lionel Scaloni speaks about Alejandro Garnacho’s future with Argentina