Jadon Sancho’s nightmare spell at Manchester United appears to be drawing to a close, with a temporary return to Borussia Dortmund one step away from being finalised.
That’s according to German newspaper BILD, reporting that ‘only the smallest tax details remain to be clarified’ before the transfer is given the green light by all parties.
The overall package for Sancho’s loan move will cost Dortmund approximately €3 million, while the player is poised to sign a six-month contract ahead of a reunion with Der BVB.
The England international set United back £73m when he landed his dream move to Old Trafford in the summer of 2021.
However, his career at the Theatre of Dreams swiftly went off script following a slow adaptation period and a nasty public feud with manager Erik ten Hag.
Ten Hag banished Sancho from the first team squad, forcing him to train with the club’s academy setup in September to protect the dressing room team spirit.
The discord stemmed from Sancho accusing Ten Hag of dishonesty regarding his training performance, leading to his exclusion from the squad that faced Arsenal on September 3.
With Sancho refusing to apologise, the relationship between the pair became irreparable and a mid-season exit was inevitable.
Having failed to feature in a competitive fixture since the fallout, Sancho’s exile is now nearing an end with Dortmund determined to finalise a deal in the early part of the January transfer window.
Sancho previously enjoyed a successful four-year spell with Dortmund from 2017 to 2021, notching 50 goals and 64 assists in 137 matches.
The 23-year-old dropped the curtain on his time with Dortmund by helping the club lift the German Cup in 2021, netting twice in the 4-1 final win over RB Leipzig.
However, Sancho has struggled to replicate his exceptional form at Old Trafford, bagging just 12 goals and six assists in 82 games.
Stats from SofaScore
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow