Manchester United could be tempted to reunite with Barcelona star Memphis Depay as they prepare to part ways with Cristiano Ronaldo this winter.
Ronaldo recently came up with an explosive interview with Piers Morgan where he criticised the manager, the club’s owners as well as some legends.
United confirmed recently that they have initiated ‘appropriate steps‘ in response to the interview and it is expected that the 37-year-old will have his contract terminated.
In that case, manager Erik ten Hag will want a low-cost replacement in January and in our opinion, a reunion with Depay could be a possibility.
The Netherlands international was on the radar of Chelsea last summer but he eventually decided to continue with the Catalan giants this term.
However, he has played just 131 minutes of first-team football thus far due to a hamstring injury and Barcelona are now prepared to offload him.
While Depay is fit for the World Cup, the club are not impressed with his handling of the injury and believe he was focused on his national side.
With his contract expiring next summer, he is valued at €5 million. In our view, United should take the opportunity to sign him ahead of their rivals.
Depay has had his fair share of injury concerns at Barcelona, but he would be a useful option for the Red Devils with his ability to play in multiple roles.
In his first stint at Old Trafford, he was a specialist from the left wing, but the Dutchman has since developed into a regular striker for club and country.
Despite his injury woes, Depay has averaged a goal contribution in every 164 minutes for Barcelona.
In comparison, Marcus Rashford has registered a goal or an assist in every 129 minutes this term.
Depay would be an affordable replacement for Ronaldo, but he could also offer good competition for places as the club push for a top-four league finish.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Fabrizio Romano confirms Dean Henderson is close to Nottingham Forest transfer
- Victor Lindelof set to be offered fresh terms by Man Utd, Erik ten Hag wants to keep him
- Man Utd keeping tabs on Leon Goretzka amid Bayern’s pursuit of Declan Rice
- Man Utd step up interest in signing Atalanta sensation Rasmus Hojlund
- Glazers give green light to pursue deal for Chelsea star Mason Mount
- Man United keeping tabs on Chicago Fire midfielder Brian Gutierrez
- Jack Butland completes Rangers medical as Man United exit all but confirmed
- Kim Min-jae ready to say yes to Man Utd, €7m per year deal proposed
- Man Utd could return for Barcelona star Ansu Fati as Ten Hag eyes another left winger
- Man Utd closely following Sporting defender Goncalo Inacio