Sir Alex Ferguson will launch a £100million summer spending bonanza in a bid to prevent Manchester United being replaced by neighbours City as the dominant force in the Premier League. United could finish the season empty handed for only the fifth time in 23 years following Monday’s derby defeat, which handed the title initiative to City. Even if there is another twist in the race with United taking advantage of a City slip-up, Ferguson knows his squad need strengthening – especially after their failure to come through an easy Champions League group and early exits from the Europa League, FA Cup and Carling Cup.
He is lining up bids for Eden Hazard, of Lille, and Tottenham’s Luka Modric to add some stardust and creativity to United’s midfield department. And he is also eyeing Athletic Bilbao’s Fernando Llorente, who scored in both Europa League legs against United, to boost his attack. Two full-backs are also being considered because Rafael Da Silva has proved unreliable and Patrice Evra, now 31, needs competition and cover. Valencia left-back Jordi Alba is on the radar. And there will be departures as well – led by Dimitar Berbatov and Michael Owen. Anderson and Federico Macheda are also likely to be moved on, while Fabio Da Silva will be loaned out to Benfica for the season. Park Ji-Sung will also be sweating on his future after his reputation as a big-game player took another battering in the derby.
The Daily Star links United with Wesley Sneijder and Barcelona’s former Reds defender Gerard Pique, and predicts Paul Pogba will be in the exodus, with a move to Juventus on the cards. The Times quotes Pogba’s agent Mino Raiola insisting a final decision has not been made on the Frenchman’s future but is due in the next week or so.
Papers including the Daily Mail claim Danny Welbeck will miss the final two games of the season but should be fit for Euro 2012 after injuring his foot against Man City.
Story from manutd.com by Adam Marshall
- Newcastle United lining up summer deal for Man Utd midfielder Scott McTominay
- Man Utd may not sign Harry Kane amid fresh Tottenham stance
- Marcus Rashford withdraws from England squad through injury
- Man United could persuade RB Salzburg & RB Leipzig to cancel Benjamin Sesko deal by paying higher fee
- Man Utd lagging behind in Jude Bellingham transfer race
- Former Manchester United target Ismaila Sarr set to leave Watford this summer
- Man Utd reminded why they should sign Joao Palhinha this summer
- Roy Keane blasts Man Utd performance against Fulham
- 16: Man Utd star has outscored club’s top transfer target in 2023
- ‘You never know’: Frenkie de Jong reacts when asked about joining Man Utd this summer