Inter Milan are waiting to learn whether Manchester United will make a formal bid to sign goalkeeper Andre Onana, according to Gianluca Di Marzio.
The Red Devils are lining up a new shot-stopper amid David de Gea’s reluctance to extend his stay.
The Spaniard’s current £375,000-a-week deal expires on June 30, and he has no plans of accepting a significant pay-cut to commit his future to the club.
His departure could force United to make a big investment on another goalkeeper, and Onana is reportedly one of the top names on their wishlist.
Di Marzio now claims that United are monitoring the Cameroonian, and Inter want to find out whether the Red Devils have concrete interest in their player.
If the club are prepared to make a genuine offer, the Nerazzurri plan to sign Empoli’s Guglielmo Vicario as his replacement. Talks have already been held for him.
Onana would be a perfect fit for Erik ten Hag
The 27-year-old worked under United manager Erik ten Hag for four-and-a-half years at Ajax, and a reunion could be a genuine possibility in the coming days.
Onana developed into a modern goalkeeper under the Dutchman, and he had a wonderful debut season with the Nerazzurri last term with 20 clean sheets from 43 outings.
The Cameroonian had an impressive save percentage of 77 across all competitions, completing 78 per cent of his passes. He also played as a sweeper-keeper when required.
Onana would be a proper upgrade between the sticks at United. The Nerazzurri currently value him at £50 million. United have a free run to sign him with Chelsea ending their interest.
The shot-stopper has already given the green light to join United this summer.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action