The Netherlands international right-back is out of contract at the Serie A club in June 2025 and is one of their best players.
However, both parties have been involved in a contract stand-off as the former Ajax star wants £80,000-a-week, but Inter are only offering him around £35,000-a-week to extend his deal.
They are willing to let go of Dumfries and have approached the Red Devils for a swap deal which would see Wan-Bissaka move in the other direction.
However, Man United have turned down the offer even though they were once linked with the Dutchman.
The former Crystal Palace star has featured in 17 games across all competitions this season and weighed in with two assists.
Dumfries has bagged two goals and four assists in 18 games and is widely regarded as one of the best attacking right-backs in Italy having constantly created plenty of goalscoring chances since moving to Inter.
Rio Ferdinand singled out Dumfries for praise ahead of the quarter-final of the World Cup between the Netherlands and Argentina in 2022, and he has what it takes to become a Red Devils star.
“They are the outlet that gets beyond, and he is a player you look at and think that he is athletic, can beat people one-on-one. It is not just about being there, it is the quality.
“He is not putting balls in willy-nilly, he is picking people out, those cutbacks have been ever so dangerous.
“He doesn’t mind working at the other end of the pitch, as well. He has been a breath of fresh air for them and a very important player.”
- Man United player ratings vs Nottingham Forest: Casemiro keeps silverware hopes alive for the Red Devils
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract
- Manchester United: Sao Paulo make stance clear on Casemiro transfer
- Mason Greenwood harbours no great desire to play for Manchester United again
- Man Utd join Arsenal in race to sign Besiktas wonderkid Semih Kilicsoy
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Kambwala starts