Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana is one step away from joining Manchester United, according to Sport Mediaset.
The Red Devils are currently uncertain over the future of David de Gea with his contract expiring at the end of the month.
The Spaniard has refused to accept a pay-cut on his current wages, and there is a possibility that he could leave as a free agent.
Amidst this, Onana has been heavily linked with a move to Old Trafford, and Sport Mediaset claim that he is just ‘one step away’.
The Italian outlet add that the 27-year-old is ‘destined’ to join the Red Devils in a deal worth €50 million plus bonuses.
Inter are looking for a low-cost replacement such as Yann Sommer, Hugo Lloris or Keylor Navas to replace the Cameroonian.
They plan to invest the funds recouped to re-sign Romelu Lukaku from Chelsea.
United could be moving closer to Onana deal
De Gea’s contract expires on Friday, and there are no signs of him signing a new contract on reduced weekly wages.
In that case, United could step up their interest in signing Onana. The Red Devils have already held talks with his agent.
The ex-Ajax star has given the green light to join the club where he has the chance to reunite with manager Erik ten Hag.
The Dutch tactician played a big role in his development at Ajax for four-and-a-half seasons before his free transfer to Inter.
Onana was brilliant in his debut campaign for Inter, keeping 20 clean sheets in all competitions.
He also completed 78 per cent of his passes with an average of seven long balls. He would be a solid upgrade on De Gea.
Onana’s confidence on the ball and the ability to play as a sweeper-keeper makes him an ideal fit for Ten Hag’s playing style.
In our view, he would be a no-brainer signing for United if De Gea heads for the exit door.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling