Inter Milan are considering the prospect of signing Manchester United striker Edinson Cavani on a free transfer, a report from Gazzetta dello Sport claims.
The Uruguay international is currently in his second campaign with the Red Devils, but it could be his final one in the club’s shirt. His contract expires in June.
Interim boss Ralf Rangnick has already hinted over his exit, and it is now reported that the Nerazzurri are planning to make a contract proposal for the 35-year-old.
The Italian champions have been long-term admirers of Cavani, and they consider him as a potential candidate to replace Alexis Sanchez at the end of the campaign.
Sanchez has one year left on his existing deal, but Inter are keen to get him off their wage bill. They want an experienced replacement and Cavani is being considered.
Cavani had an injury-plagued debut campaign for the Red Devils last term, but still registered 17 goals and six assists from 39 appearances across all competitions.
Hence, it was a no-brainer for United to extend his stay for another campaign. The striker signed a new deal worth £250,000-a-week prior to the end of last season.
However, it has not proved worthwhile, considering his multiple injuries this term. Cavani has bagged just two goals and an assist from 761 minutes of first-team action.
It is clear that Cavani will be on his way out this summer. He could be handed the chance to prolong his career in Europe at Inter, who have backed experienced stars.
Dzeko, who is already 36, has prospered at Inter this campaign with 16 goals and nine assists from 38 games. Cavani may have the chance to redeem himself with a return to Serie A.
The Uruguayan has had a proven scoring record, but this season has been a tough one for him. When he has been injury free, Cristiano Ronaldo has remained the regular choice up front.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd agree fee with Barcelona for Frenkie de Jong
- Erik ten Hag could hand first-team chance to James Garner
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final