Inter Miami are ready to offer an escape route to Cristiano Ronaldo from Manchester United.
According to the Daily Star, the Major League Soccer club are eyeing a deal for the five-time Ballon d’Or winner.
Their top player, Gonzalo Higuain, is set to retire at the end of the season and that will free up space for a new arrival.
Ronaldo is in the final year of his contract but the Red Devils have an option to extend his stay until 2024.
However, it seems highly unlikely that the Premier League giants will be interested in triggering that extension.
The Portuguese forward has struggled to adapt to Erik ten Hag’s system. His only league start came in the 4-0 drubbing at Brentford.
He has found the back of the net only once, via a penalty against Sheriff Tiraspol in the Europa League.
He is no longer a guaranteed starter with Ten Hag backing Marcus Rashford or Anthony Martial to lead the line.
The same report mentions that United will be pondering Ronaldo’s possible departure in January if they receive an offer of £10 million.
The former Real Madrid man wanted an Old Trafford exit last summer in a bid to play Champions League football.
However, due to a lack of options, he had to stay with United.
He looks frustrated, and the manager will not want to keep a player whose presence creates a negative environment.
Ronaldo’s exit will also depend on the Glazers as they will lose a huge commercial market.
Man United face Everton tonight, after being hammered by their local rivals Manchester City 6-3 last weekend.
With Rashford and Martial among the goals in midweek, Ronaldo looks set to be warming the bench again.
- Man Utd working on deal to sign Yann Sommer
- Glazers decide to drop semi-annual dividends after £225m summer spending spree
- Manchester United’s World Cup Quarter-Finalists – Predictions & Betting Tips
- How the playing surface at Old Trafford is created
- PSG president open to signing Marcus Rashford on a free transfer
- De Gea: Manchester United yet to open talks over a new contract
- Man Utd target Goncalo Ramos now valued at €80m by Benfica
- Man Utd have advantage over Real Madrid in pursuit of Cody Gakpo
- Man Utd duo should be sold in January after woeful displays against Cadiz
- ‘I will think about it’: Cody Gakpo opens the door for Man Utd transfer in January