Manchester United attacking midfielder Henrikh Mkhitaryan is likely to miss the Manchester Derby of 10th September against Manchester City through injury, going by statement released by Armenian Football Association.
The Armenian international suffered the injury owing to an off the ball collision with Czech Republic defender Marek Suchy, when the two countries locked horns in their international friendly fixture, which saw Armenia getting defeated 3-0 to Czech Republic. Mkhitaryan, who was subbed off immediately after the collision will also miss the tie against Denmark tomorrow.
The statement on Mkhitaryan’s injury update, released by Armenian FA, confirming that the attacking midfielder has suffered a thigh muscle injury, that will require seven to ten days to heal , means the player would be cutting it tight to make it to the much anticipated Manchester Derby.
As reported by Sky Sports, the 27 year old will now return to Carrington to be assessed by United’s medical staff ahead of the big game at Old Trafford on Saturday.
The statement released by the Armenian FA read: ”As reported, senior national team captain Henrikh Mkhitaryan received an injury against Czech Republic and as a result was unable to continue the match.”
“Mkhitaryan has had a medical examination in a clinic in Mlada Boleslav. Unfortunately, the results are not encouraging.”
“Mkhitaryan was found to have an injury in the lower third of the left thigh muscle. Such injuries usually require a week to 10 days to heal, which means that Mkhitaryan will miss the Denmark-Armenia match on September 4.”
Just when Mkhitaryan was getting his match rhythm, his injury diagnosis has made him doubtful for the derby as the player is facing a race against time to get fit. Manchester City will also be without the services of their mercurial striker Sergio Aguero.
Here is Mkhitaryan’s message to the United fans on his injury
“My dear fans, I appreciate much that you worry about me, thank you! I’m now back in Manchester for treatment and hope to be fit very soon!” the player tweeted.
“I wish my Arm. teammates a successful start of the #WorldCup2018 campaign. As NT’s Captain, I expect a fighting spirit as always #GoArmenia.”
- Erik ten Hag gives his backing to Man Utd captain Harry Maguire
- Van de Beek’s former agent blasts Man Utd over unfair treatment of the midfielder
- Manchester United team news: Erik ten Hag gives fitness updates on three key players
- Marcus Rashford wins Premier League Player of the Month for September
- Manchester United vs West Ham United – October 30 – New Kick-off Time
- Manchester City vs Manchester United Preview – Prediction, Potential Line-ups & How to Watch
- David De Gea to hold talks with Erik ten Hag as his Man United future hangs in balance
- Pogba admits he fell short of expectations at Manchester United
- Rashford and Martial doubtful for Manchester derby after missing training
- Roberto Carlos names two current Man United players he would like to play with