Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag was delighted for Kobbie Mainoo following the club’s dramatic 4-3 Premier League win over Wolverhampton Wanderers on the road.
The Red Devils returned to winning ways in the league last night but things almost went pear-shaped. The club were deservedly 2-0 ahead at the break and could have scored many more.
Wolves got back into the game with a fortuitous penalty, but Scott McTominay managed to put United 3-1 ahead less than two minutes after coming off the bench to replace Casemiro.
However, there was late drama in the end. Wolves pulled off an unlikely comeback to make it 3-3, but Mainoo had the final say with a moment of individual brilliance to win the game.
The wonderkid took control of possession, dribbled past a couple of players before finding the back of the net with a low curling effort into the far right corner. It was simply world class.
Speaking after the game, Ten Hag said that Mainoo is making incredible progress and has great abilities. The Dutchman added that he is the modern midfield player who can attack and defend.
He said: “He is making incredible progress. He has great abilities, he is the modern midfield player. He can defend and attack but also he has the physicality to do both ways. He is also composed.”
Mainoo has the potential to become world-class
Over the past few years, United have been craving for an elite box-to-box midfielder. They have spent plenty in the transfer market, but now have a solution within their squad.
Mainoo made his breakthrough in the number six role this term in Casemiro’s injury absence. The latter’s return has freed up the youngster to operate from a more attacking position.
In the space of six months, the 18-year-old has shown that he has the ability to contribute on both ends of the pitch. He could turn into a world-class midfielder in the long run.
Mainoo has now scored in back-to-back games for the Red Devils. The fans will be hoping that he can continue his bright vein of form as United aim to make the top four.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow