Manchester United have been handed a big boost in signing Goncalo Ramos with Benfica lowering their price tag, according to Correio da Manha (page 12).
The Red Devils are keen on pursuing a new centre-forward this summer, and they are looking at different options in the transfer market.
Harry Kane was initially the primary target for manager Erik ten Hag, but the club have cooled their interest due to the high transfer costs.
It is now reported that United and Paris Saint-Germain are ‘in the lead’ to sign Ramos, who is likely to be sold by Benfica in the coming weeks.
Ramos currently has a €120 million release clause in his contract, but the Portuguese outfit are prepared to sanction his sale for around €80m.
Benfica have identified New York City FC’s Taty Castellanos as a potential replacement for Ramos.
Ramos would be an ideal striker for Erik ten Hag
The 21-year-old had an excellent 2022/23 season for Benfica. He scored 27 goals and provided another 12 assists from 47 appearances in all competitions.
Ramos was also brilliant for Portugal at the World Cup. He scored a stunning hat-trick against Switzerland in the round of 16 after starting ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo.
In our opinion, Ramos would be an ideal striker for manager Erik ten Hag. Aside from his goal involvements, he has also been impressive with his work rate.
The Benfica star is known for his regular high pressing and does not shy away from making tackles. He has also been brilliant with his hold-up play in the final third.
Last season, he won a stunning 4.9 ground and aerial duels per appearance.
These are attributes that Ten Hag prefers in his main striker. We believe United should push to sign Ramos quickly amid the transfer interest from Paris Saint-Germain.
The French champions could spend big with the possibility of Kylian Mbappe leaving. United can’t afford to ponder over a move as Les Parisiens like to secure quick deals.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns