Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has refused to take credit for bringing the best out of Marcus Rashford.
Rashford has been United’s talisman this season, notching 18 goals and recording four assists across all competitions.
Ten Hag was quizzed about Rashford’s resurgence in the pre-match press conference before the FA Cup clash with Reading.
He modestly downplayed his contributions to the recent success of the English forward.
He said (via ManUtd.com), “I’m not Harry Potter. Confidence [is important] and every player has to make and get his confidence. He fights for this, and he invests in this.
“With me and my coaching staff, we bring structures and especially with the way of play. That gives him some routines [with] what he needed to get into the right position, but finally, it was up to him.
“If the player has confidence and he is confident in the way we are working – the environment and the culture are also important – then the player can perform at his best.
“Marcus is obviously performing at his best at this moment and he is in really good shape, from day to day, game to game, training to train. More and more routines are coming in.”
Rashford is playing with high confidence and this is due to the backing he has received from the support staff.
No player across Europe’s big-five leagues has scored more goals than the 25-year-old since the conclusion of the 2022 World Cup.
The England international is making intelligent runs and using his breakneck pace to leave the defenders behind.
He was a shadow of a player last season when compared to now.
Rashford has already scored 13 more times than he did during the whole of the 2021/22 campaign.
Ten Hag may shuffle his pack to give a weekend off to a few players who are featuring regularly and Rashford may be among them.
The manager can utilise Rashford in the last few minutes if United are chasing a goal to win the game.
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books