Manchester United captain Bruno Fernandes has urged the club to sign Benfica wonderkid Joao Neves during a recent interview with Sport TV Portugal.
The 19-year-old had his breakthrough season with Benfica last term and he is currently an undisputed starter from the number six role for the Primeira Liga giants.
Neves has caught the eye with his strong distribution skills. He has also been brilliant with his concentration and likes to engage in tackles and win duels.
At such a young age, he is already one of the most sought-after midfielders and Fernandes has said that he has top quality and would love to have him at United.
He said (via Express): “I would love to have him at United, he has top quality! But it’s Joao choice. He’s great player but it depends on the coach ideas! He will have a great future, in United or somewhere else.”
United need to spend big on Neves
The youngster has been a revelation for Benfica since breaking into the first-team squad.
He can operate as a defensive or central midfielder but also has the ability to play on the right wing.
Neves tends to prefer the holding role and could be seen as Casemiro’s successor at United.
This season, he has completed 91 per cent of his passes in the Portuguese top-flight.
He has won an outstanding 2.4 tackles and 7.3 duels per game alongside 4.8 ball recoveries.
Neves is only 174cm in height but has fared well aerially with a 53 per cent success rate.
He is currently protected by a release clause worth €100 million in his deal and United may need to trigger the clause to sign him as Benfica don’t want to sell for another season at least.
United can’t play the waiting game to purchase Neves. There is bound to be interest from other elite European clubs. The likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona could be keeping a close eye.
Stats from Sofascore.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling