Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has said that Casemiro and Lisandro Martinez could take a few weeks before they return to first-team action for the Red Devils.
Casemiro has not featured for the club since suffering a hamstring injury against Newcastle United in the Carabao Cup fourth round. He recently returned to partial training.
Meanwhile, Martinez has been out of competitive action after undergoing a fresh surgery in October for his metatarsal fracture sustained during the back end of last season.
When asked for an update on the pair, Ten Hag said that the duo have only returned to partial team training and they have to make the next steps in the near future.
The manager added that it could take some days or may be even weeks before the pair are integrated into the first-teams plans.
He said: “They are a long time now back on the grass already, but now they have returned to team training.”
“Not fully but partial and now they have to make the next steps that of course takes some days, I think even weeks.”
United travel to Wigan for the FA Cup third round tie today and it is quite clear that Casemiro and Martinez won’t be in the squad to face the League One club.
Looking at the fixtures, they may also be sidelined for Sunday’s Premier League clash against Tottenham Hotspur at Old Trafford which is a must-win for the Red Devils.
The club are already nine points adrift of the Champions League places and can ill-afford to drop points against Spurs, who are direct competitors for one of those spots.
The trip to Wolverhampton Wanderers on February 1 could be pencilled as the potential comeback date for Casemiro and Martinez, provided they pass the fitness tests.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow