Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo has said that he is ‘completely bullet-proof and iron-clad’ ahead of Portugal’s World Cup campaign in Qatar.
Earlier last week, the 37-year-old gave an explosive interview to Piers Morgan where he was disrespectful towards manager Erik ten Hag as well as the club’s owners.
United have since revealed that they have initiated appropriate steps in response to the interview and it is widely expected that the forward will be released soon.
Amidst this, Ronaldo was asked questions by the media today. The Portuguese was largely unperturbed and said that the atmosphere is excellent in the camp.
He added that he is bullet-proof and iron-clad and will talk only when he wants to.
He said via The Telegraph: “The atmosphere is excellent, no problems, we are completely focused. You can help by not talking about me. I’m completely bullet-proof and iron-clad.”
“If you ask other players about Cristiano Ronaldo I would be upset. If you want to ask him about the World Cup and the team, I would like you to do that.
“Timing is always timing. From your side it is easy to look at how we can choose timings. Sometimes you write truths, sometimes you write lies. I don’t have to worry about what others think.
“I talk when I want to. Everybody knows who I am, what I believe in. They have known me [here] since I was 11. They will not be influenced by what people say and write about me.”
Ronaldo unapologetic over explosive interview
Ronaldo has been angling for a move away from Old Trafford for some time and he is now forcing the club to take action after his shock interview with Morgan last week.
The £17.4 million-rated was unapologetic over his recent comments and he is probably aware that his days with United are numbered following the turn of events.
The Red Devils are currently exploring how to terminate his deal without a pay-off and there are suggestions that a formal conclusion could be reached this week.
Meanwhile, it remains to be seen whether Ronaldo starts for Portugal when they face Ghana in their World Cup opener on Thursday, November 24.
Portugal boss Fernando Santos recently said that he has no obligation to start Ronaldo. Andre Silva and Joao Felix could be preferred over him up front.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Manchester United find out FA Cup semi-final schedule
- Man Utd can prise away new ‘Erling Haaland’ for €50-60m this summer
- Victor Lindelof key to unlocking Denzel Dumfries’ switch to Manchester United
- Man Utd in pole position to sign wantaway Barcelona whizz-kid Ansu Fati
- Dean Henderson rejected Erik ten Hag’s proposal to return to Man United in January
- David de Gea turns down latest Manchester United contract
- Pep Guardiola’s comments on Harry Kane should serve as a warning to Man United
- Man Utd face competition from Chelsea and Real Madrid for Goncalo Ramos
- Man Utd star Scott McTominay scores stunning brace in Scotland’s 2-0 win vs Spain
- Manchester United’s Top-10 Highest Earners