Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag is hopeful that Anthony Martial will return to fitness before the World Cup.
It has been a stop-start season for Martial. He has featured in just three Premier League games this term.
Ten Hag gave a positive update about his return in his pre-match press conference today.
He said (via ManUtd.com): “I hope. But he making progress. He is outside and he is working there. So he is on the pitch and we are waiting for his step back in team training.
“He had a setback as he fell out against Everton with his back, and so he had some injuries. It was really frustrating for us but also for him and we have seen that he played well in pre-season.
“He has [not many] minutes, but he scored already three goals. He can score goals but also linking up he’s really important – and the pressing from him is really good.”
Martial’s timely return will be a massive boost to Man United
The Red Devils have four more games to play before the players join their national camps for the World Cup.
These four games will be across three competitions – Premier League, Europa League and Carabao Cup.
Ten Hag will be hoping that his side can have a strong finish before the coveted international tournament.
The manager will be delighted if Martial can come back and contribute to these games.
The Frenchman has failed to overcome his complex injury issues this season.
Even though he has missed a large chunk of the campaign, he has bagged two goals and notched two assists.
If he was fit, he would definitely start ahead of Marcus Rashford and Cristiano Ronaldo.
His hold-up play has improved significantly and helps his team to defend from the front, something that the Dutchman prefers.
At the age of 26, Martial is at the crossroads of his career. He needs to stay fit and fire for his team.
He has the potential to shine at Old Trafford but United want him to be more consistent, both with his fitness and form.
- Chelsea attacker Christian Pulisic is destined for Man Utd move
- Liverpool join Man Utd in race to sign Cody Gakpo in January
- Man Utd sale could be completed before end of season
- Real Madrid linked with shock move for Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes
- Man Utd star Raphael Varane leads France in dramatic game against Tunisia at the World Cup
- ‘I think he’s turned it around’ – Paul Scholes names Marcus Rashford as stand out player so far at Manchester United
- ‘It’s quite an easy question’ – Former Manchester United midfielder names Casemiro as his ideal partner
- Gary Neville says Marcus Rashford should be a guaranteed starter for England vs Senegal
- Man Utd handed blow with Benfica set to hand new contract to Goncalo Ramos
- Cristiano Ronaldo closing in on January move to Al Nassr