Manchester United legend Rio Ferdinand believes the Red Devils should make the move to sign teenage midfielder Jude Bellingham from Birmingham City this summer.
The 16-year-old has experienced an impressive breakthrough season in the Championship where he has contributed four goals and two assists from 32 appearances for Birmingham.
During this period, he has played in almost every midfield position for the Blues and there have also been occasions where he has featured in a wide attacking or number 10 role.
As a result, he perfectly fits into Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s plans with the age and versatility on his side, and Ferdinand has urged United to recruit the highly-rated teenager.
“Jude Bellingham: Huge talent. Huge talent. Really good-looking footballer in the way he plays, the balance, the poise he’s got, the maturity at such a young age. I want to see more,” he told on Instagram Live as relayed by Metro.
“But you’re buying this kid, the price tag is phenomenal, £30million for a kid, for a 16-year-old boy. It’s unbelievable. I think he’s someone I would 100% take. If I’m Man United now, go in and get him.”
Bellingham has been valued at around £30m by Birmingham and his progress has caught the attention of Borussia Dortmund, who have been known for developing young players into potential world-beaters.
Still, United could have the edge over the German club after recently taking the youngster on a tour of the Carrington training complex where he met senior officials including Ed Woodward and Sir Alex Ferguson.
There is certainly a risk associated with the price tag for any young player, who has been untested at the top level but the hierarchy should back Solskjaer for Bellingham, given the Norwegian has got it right with every signing under his management.
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns
- Fabrizio Romano: Manchester United preparing to sign a new centre-back in 2024
- Man Utd interested in signing Tottenham midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg in January
- Erik ten Hag confirms double boost for Crystal Palace clash but defensive duo injured
- Manchester United announce Antony’s comeback amid physical assault allegations