Manchester United will be aiming to extend their four-match winning streak in the Premier League when they entertain arch-rivals Manchester City on Saturday.
The Red Devils are currently four points behind Pep Guardiola’s side who are second in the table, but can reduce the gap to just one point with a victory at Old Trafford.
However, they will need to be at their best to win the Manchester derby. Wout Weghorst could have a key role to play if he were to be registered in time for the game.
Talks are currently underway between United, Burnley as well as Besiktas where he is currently on loan. The striker needs to be registered by 12pm on Friday to face City.
If that happens, we won’t be surprised if manager Erik ten Hag decides to play him from the off just like Antony against Arsenal. The Brazilian made an instant impact with the opening goal.
In our view, Weghorst is much better at pressing compared to Anthony Martial over long periods and also possesses the physical presence to unsettle City’s backline.
Aside from this, the Dutchman is also strong with his hold-up and link-up play in the opposition half and could help United initiate counter-attacks with more regularity.
The 30-year-old could also provide a presence in the box. He has the reputation of being a target man and could be a menace from set pieces against City’s defence.
In our opinion, United could have ‘a tactical weapon‘ in their hands as Ten Hag likes to say.
The signing of Weghorst would provide a different dimension to United’s attack that could ruin City’s game plan. The Red Devils could press more with Weghorst leading the line.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Louis Saha backs Man Utd to sign Harry Kane and win the Premier League
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest
- Could Kobbie Mainoo make his league debut for Manchester United in the absence of star midfielders?
- Man Utd’s transfer priority is clear after fresh Anthony Martial injury blow
- Man Utd handed early Europa League boost with two key Barcelona stars injured
- Erik ten Hag has easy midfield decision vs Leeds United with four players out