Manchester United have been passive in this summer transfer window due to the Financial Fair Play rules and their ongoing takeover saga.
Erik ten Hag wants the club to sign a marquee striker, a midfielder and a goalkeeper who can challenge David De Gea for the starting spot.
He will also want a new defender if Harry Maguire leaves Old Trafford in search of regular game-time.
However, to achieve these transfer ambitions, United need to increase their transfer budget, which can be done by offloading a few players.
Mason Mount, Rasmus Hojlund and Diogo Costa are three players who could make their way to the Theatre of Dreams even if United have an average transfer window.
All three players would improve Man United’s first-team
The deal for Mount looks very close to being complete. United have already agreed personal terms with the England international.
The only stumbling block is Chelsea’s asking price of £70 million. The London outfit must sell players to balance their books.
They may sanction Mount’s exit at a lower fee later in the summer.
Rasmus Hojlund is the most realistic answer to Ten Hag’s striker hunt.
Atalanta have put a staggering €100m price tag on the Denmark international, but United will be hopeful of prising the striker away for less.
De Gea’s Old Trafford future is still uncertain, and Costa is on top of United’s shortlist to replace the veteran.
Costa is Porto’s most valuable asset, but United are trying to drive down their €75m price tag.
If the Red Devils can get these three players, they can all break into the starting XI.
Costa could take the place between the sticks and help United play out from the back.
Mount will provide dynamism in the midfield by slotting in the number eight role.
Hojlund is still learning his trade, but his presence would help Ten Hag deploy Marcus Rashford on the left flank.
The Danish international would provide more stability than Anthony Martial, who was on the sidelines for most of the previous campaign.
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action