Manchester United have had a quiet winter transfer window and it appears unlikely that they will make a big-money signing before the end of the month.
After a huge £220 million spending spree last summer, the focus has been on loan deals in January.
They have already signed Jack Butland and Wout Weghorst on temporary deals. The hierarchy are said to be eyeing another forward on loan before Tuesday’s deadline.
Hence, manager Erik ten Hag is unlikely to be backed with huge funds until the end of the campaign.
A new midfielder should be prioritised in the summer and in our opinion, Everton youngster Amadou Onana should be considered as a realistic transfer target.
Onana was a relatively unknown to most fans when he made the move to Goodison Park last year, but he has certainly made an impact in a short pace of time.
The Toffees are currently languishing in the Premier League with the threat of relegation looming, but Amadou has been a class apart with his performances.
The 21-year-old has won an impressive 6.8 duels per game alongside 2.6 tackles. He has also induced two fouls on him on average while completing 85 per cent of his passes.
Onana is still a raw talent but has immense potential in him. He is already a regular with the Belgian national side and has the traits to become a world-class midfielder.
The youngster seems determined to stay at Everton this month amid interest from Chelsea, and this should only benefit United’s chances of signing him in the summer.
United could possibly part ways with Scott McTominay when the campaign ends. Onana would be an upgrade on the Scot with his better ball-winning ability and passing range.
Meanwhile, the Red Devils may have a big advantage over Chelsea if they qualify for the Champions League. The Blues are currently a staggering 10 points adrift of the top four.
Onana is currently valued at £31 million by Transfermarkt and the Toffees could ask for close to £50m if they beat the drop. Otherwise, he could be available for a knockdown fee.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and SofaScore.com
- Erik ten Hag has given go-ahead to sign Goncalo Ramos from Benfica
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag ‘concerned’ about Newcastle time-wasting
- Man Utd ‘first on the list’ for Ansu Fati, Jorge Mendes working on summer deal
- Erik ten Hag confirms double Man Utd injury boost ahead of Newcastle clash
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract
- Sheikh Jassim believes new Owners’ and Directors’ Test will not affect his Man United takeover
- Erik ten Hag to make decision on futures of Scott McTominay and Victor Lindelof
- Manchester United’s debt rises to almost £1 billion
- Erik ten Hag wants Andre Onana to provide competition to David de Gea next season
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups