Paris Saint-Germain striker Kylian Mbappe decided against a one-year extension in his contract yesterday and he is now likely to be sold this summer, according to L’Equipe.
His surprise decision could indirectly benefit United in their pursuit of Tottenham Hotspur’s Harry Kane.
Kane has been linked with a move to Real Madrid over the past few days, but the scenario could completely change with Mbappe being available in the transfer market again.
Los Blancos are known to be long-term admirers of the France international, and it is anticipated that they will make a fresh approach to secure his services in the coming weeks.
Mbappe’s bombshell will boost United’s Kane pursuit
Kane is about to enter the final 12 months of his contract at Spurs. The north London outfit face a big decision over his future as they could lose him on a free transfer next summer.
In recent days, Madrid have been touted as a potential destination for the 29-year-old, but Mbappe’s availability could put an end to their ongoing interest in the England captain.
In our view, this could boost United’s pursuit of Kane. It is unlikely that Paris Saint-Germain or Bayern Munich will make a huge £100 million outlay on a striker, who will turn 30 next month.
Spurs chairman Daniel Levy is currently reluctant to sell Kane to a direct Premier League rival, but the stance may soften in the coming weeks if there is no interest from clubs abroad.
Kane had a fantastic 2022/23 season with 32 goals at club level. Despite his efforts, Spurs were only able to finish eighth in the league, and won’t be playing European football next term.
Clubs like PSG and Bayern could be wary of Kane’s adaptability, but United should have no such concerns with Kane’s sensational record in the English top-flight with 213 goals thus far.
The Red Devils don’t need another prolonged transfer saga this summer. Hopefully, they can persuade Spurs to sell Kane at the earliest possibility such that he can join them in pre-season.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions