Manchester United have had a progressive season under Erik ten Hag and one of the highlights has been the ability to cope with defensive injuries.
This has been particularly visible during the second half of the season as the players have adapted more to the coaching methods of the manager.
Aaron Wan-Bissaka was largely out-of-favour under Ten Hag before the World Cup and he played just four minutes at right-back ahead of Diogo Dalot.
However, the 25-year-old was asked to step up when Dalot got injured in late December and he has since produced a string of impressive performances.
The right-back has revived his lost confidence with regular minutes in recent months and he now looks back to his best, winning duels and tackles at will.
Aside from Wan-Bissaka, we recently saw Victor Lindelof and Luke Shaw produce a superb defensive display in central defence in the FA Cup semi-final.
With injuries to Raphael Varane and Lisandro Martinez, the duo stepped up. We won’t be surprised if they are the regular centre-back pairing for the rest of the season.
Diogo Dalot’s adaptability has also been impressive lately. The Portuguese has been solid from left-back in recent appearances, keeping Tyrell Malacia out of the XI.
In the past, United have struggled when they have been crucial injuries at the back but under Ten Hag, we have seen players prepared to take up the challenge.
The Dutchman has instilled a better defensive resolve with his coaching methods. He has made the defence injury-proof by making best use of the squad depth.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag confirms Antony will be in consideration for Galatasaray clash
- Three goals in last four meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December