Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has defended the recent performances of Anthony Martial and believes the Frenchman’s form has dipped due to tiredness.
The Frenchman has started the club’s previous seven matches in all competitions and he has fared decently with two goals and two assists, as per whoscored.
However, most of that contribution has come in the Cup competitions and in terms of the Premier League, he has scored the solitary goal against Norwich City on January 11.
As such, he has failed to find the net for three-straight top-flight games following the win over the Canaries and this has led to criticism from a section of the fans.
In response to this, Solskjaer has defended the Frenchman’s displays and stated that the forward has been giving his best despite being tired over the past few games.
“He’s giving us everything. I’ve sat down with him and I’m delighted with him, and I know that he’s tired, but he’s never ever — how do you say it? — dodged a training session. He’s training, he’s available for every game, [I’m] delighted with the boy,” he was quoted as saying by ESPN.
Solskjaer has been unable to give Martial with a breather due to the blow for Marcus Rashford, who is unlikely return to action from a back injury until mid-March at the least.
The deadline-day signing of Odion Ighalo will obviously provide Solskjaer with the option to rest Martial in a rotation policy and the Norwegian has hinted the same in his recent press conference.
Manchester United won’t feature in any competition for the next two weeks due to the Premier League winter break. They return to league action against Chelsea on the road on February 17.
- Gleison Bremer shows why Man Utd want to sign him this summer
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow