Manchester United defender Luke Shaw has heaped praise on January signing Bruno Fernandes, who has made an impressive beginning to his career with the club.
Fernandes joined the Red Devils after a prolonged run of negotiations with Sporting in January and he had a quiet debut against Wolverhampton Wanderers in a 0-0 draw.
However, the Portuguese has since impressed in the United shirt with three goals and four assists from the next eight appearances and he has also provided a number of key passes in the final third.
As such, he has already become a favourite among the United faithful and when asked about his impact, Shaw said that he is quite surprised with the 25-year-old settling at the club in a short space of time.
“He’s been amazing for us. The maddest thing is he hasn’t actually been there that long, but what he’s brought in and the quality he has – of course on the pitch – but inside the dressing room as well. He’s a leader for us too,” he told during a ‘Combat Corona’ live FIFA tournament on Twitch.
United were lacking a creative presence from an attacking midfield role during the first half of the season as the likes of Andreas Pereira and Jesse Lingard struggled with their distribution to the forwards in the box.
Fernandes has provided an instant solution to the problem and his presence has definitely boosted the club’s chances of securing Champions League football for next season.
The season has been currently put on hold due to the coronavirus pandemic but there is optimism that the campaign will resume within the next few months.
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns
- Fabrizio Romano: Manchester United preparing to sign a new centre-back in 2024
- Man Utd interested in signing Tottenham midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg in January
- Erik ten Hag confirms double boost for Crystal Palace clash but defensive duo injured
- Manchester United announce Antony’s comeback amid physical assault allegations