Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has confirmed that midfielder Casemiro picked up a fresh injury during the Carabao Cup fourth round defeat to Newcastle United on Wednesday.
The Brazil international made his comeback from an ankle issue against the Magpies. He was handed the captain’s armband with Bruno Fernandes being on the substitutes’ bench.
However, he was surprisingly substituted at the half-time interval with Sofyan Amrabat replacing him. Speaking after the 3-0 defeat, Ten Hag confirmed bad news on Casemiro.
The Dutch tactician revealed that the 31-year-old was injured. He added that the midfielder picked up the blow just before the interval and that was the reason behind taking him off.
He told Manutd.com: “He was injured. Just before half-time, he got an injury. That’s why we had to take him off.”
Casemiro’s absence would be a huge blow for United
Sofyan Amrabat has been operating in the number six role regularly over the past few games, but the Moroccan has yet to adapt to the higher intensity of English football.
Casemiro’s return to action yesterday was a welcome sight for many fans, but he unfortunately suffered a setback before half-time. He is now a major doubt to face Fulham on Saturday.
The €40 million-rated star has not been able to replicate his performances from his debut season for United, but he continues to remain an undisputed starter when fit.
The Brazilian is currently the top scorer for United in all competitions with four goals. He has lacked consistency on the defensive side but has fared well in some games.
Hence, his absence would be a huge blow, particularly with United struggling to gain control in midfield. It won’t be easy at the weekend either with Joao Palhinha in the opposite ranks.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling