Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has confirmed that Anthony Martial won’t be available for the weekend’s Premier League clash against Tottenham Hotspur at Old Trafford.
The Frenchman has been on the sidelines for the past few weeks through illness and speaking in today’s press conference, Ten Hag said that he is not fit to face Spurs on Sunday.
When asked by reporters, he said: “We have to make him fit and it is his job as well to get ready for the next game. But in this moment he is having medical treatment and he has to recover.”
Martial’s United career ending in disappointing note
The 28-year-old contributed nine goals and four assists for the Red Devils last season, but he also missed a staggering 29 games with six separate injuries.
As a result, United made the decision to sign Rasmus Hojlund from Atalanta. The Dane has been almost ever-present in the line-up since his full debut.
Martial is currently a back-up striker, but his time with United could end soon with his contract expiring in June. The club have not triggered the extension clause in his deal.
There has been no progress over a new contract with a significant pay-cut and he looks set to end his nine-year association with the club at the end of the campaign.
The £36 million signing has had several big moments in the club’s shirt, but his career appears to be ending on a disappointing note. Hopefully, he won’t be sidelined for long.
United face a must-win game against Spurs at home this weekend.
They have the chance to reduce or maintain the nine-point gap to the top four with a victory. A defeat, on the other hand, could increase the deficit to double figures.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow