Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has confirmed an injury setback for Aaron Wan-Bissaka ahead of the Premier League meeting at Aston Villa on Sunday evening.
The Red Devils registered a second successive league win last weekend. They cruised to a convincing 3-0 victory over West Ham United at Old Trafford.
The club are now eight points behind Villa for the final Champions League spot and have a brilliant chance to reduce the gap with a win at Villa Park.
Ahead of the game, United will be without the services of Lisandro Martinez, who picked up a knee injury during the second half against the Hammers.
He will be sidelined for at least eight weeks and it appears the club could also be without Wan-Bissaka, who has suffered a setback in training today.
The 26-year-old returned to team training after an undefined injury, but he dropped out of the session with a possible recurrence of the same issue.
Ten Hag told Manutd.com: “Aaron Wan-Bissaka, today, was training but then he dropped out. So I don’t know, in this moment, where he is and what is the diagnosis. Hopefully, he is not too bad.”
Wan-Bissaka needs to prove his fitness to prolong Man Utd stay
The right-back was out-of-favour under Ten Hag during the first half of last season, but he managed to change his fortunes during the back end of the campaign.
Wan-Bissaka earned his right to start with several stand-out performances. He became a regular starter at right-back with Diogo Dalot occupying the substitutes’ bench.
The Crystal Palace graduate has been unable to cement a regular role this season amid injuries. He was sidelined for around 10 games between September and October.
Wan-Bissaka recently suffered a fresh injury which kept him out of three games. On his return to training, he has been forced to drop out with a possible recurrence.
Wan-Bissaka’s current deal expires in the summer of 2025. He needs to prove his fitness in the coming months or else, United may be reluctant to prolong his stay.
They could start contemplating the prospect of selling him in the next transfer window.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow