Manchester United defender Harry Maguire is set to lose the captain’s armband in the coming days, according to The Sun.
The England international had a difficult 2022/23 season with the Red Devils where he made only eight starts in the Premier League.
Raphael Varane and Lisandro Martinez were the preferred centre-back pairing for manager Erik ten Hag for most of the season.
When either or both were unavailable, the Dutch tactician preferred to start Victor Lindelof and Luke Shaw ahead of Maguire.
It is quite clear that the manager does not fancy him in his starting plans, but there is uncertainty whether he will leave the club.
Maguire recently received a pay rise following United’s Champions League qualification which makes it more difficult to sell him.
Regardless of this, The Sun claim that Maguire will be axed as United captain in the coming days.
Ten Hag will ask the view of the first-team squad before choosing his next leader.
Fernandes, who was the regular captain last term, is likely to get the full-time role.
Fernandes expected to be new Man Utd captain
Maguire is no longer assured of regular playing time with the Red Devils. He is currently the fifth-choice central defender in the squad.
There is presently interest from West Ham United in signing him, but a transfer may depend on the club handing him a significant pay-off.
If Maguire were to head for the exit door, United could invest on a replacement. Monaco’s Axel Disasi appears the main target for now.
Meanwhile, Fernandes deserves the captain’s armband amid his brilliant form during the back end of the recently-concluded campaign.
The Portuguese looked far from his best before the World Cup break, but made consistent goal contributions after his return.
The £64 million-rated star is an undisputed starter for United, and it is a no-brainer to make him the leader.
He has had exceptional fitness levels throughout his career. To date, he has not missed a single game for his clubs due to an injury.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns