Manchester United captain Harry Maguire has rejected a loan move to Inter Milan to stay with the club for the rest of the season, The Daily Star report.
The England international has had a difficult campaign under manager Erik ten Hag and he has been a regular on the bench since the dreadful outing at Brentford.
With United eyeing another centre-back in the summer, it appears unlikely that his situation will improve but the 29-year-old is willing to fight for his place for now.
According to The Daily Star, Maguire has snubbed a loan approach from Inter. He is prepared to wait until the summer before considering his United future.
Maguire likely to leave Man Utd this summer
Maguire has become a squad player under Ten Hag this season. He is currently behind Raphael Varane, Lisandro Martinez, Victor Lindelof and Luke Shaw in the pecking order for a starting spot.
Barring an injury crisis, it appears unlikely that the £26 million-rated star will start regularly for United. He will most likely head for the exit door at the end of the season.
In our view, the Serie A could be an ideal destination for Maguire. The league is more tactical and less intense than the English top-flight. Maguire could excel in the division.
Inter are said to be interested in him despite his recent snub. Maguire could be seen as their replacement for Milan Skriniar, who is set to join Paris Saint-Germain on a free transfer.
Aside from Maguire, Victor Lindelof is another player whose future could be assessed in the summer.
Inter also made a loan proposal for the Sweden international recently. Unlike with Maguire, United made it clear that they don’t want to lose him at the current stage of the season.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books