Manchester United captain Harry Maguire came up with an impressive display for England during their goalless World Cup draw against USA last night.
The 29-year-old has been the subject of criticism from some fans over the past year, but the centre-back has generally stood out playing for the Three Lions.
Maguire produced a solid display in the 6-2 win over Iran with an assist and he replicated the performance against USA with some resolute defending.
The Three Lions could not find a way past Gregg Berhalter’s side yesterday, but they also needed to be assured at the back to secure a valuable point in the end.
Maguire was the best player on the night with as many as eight clearances. He was rock-solid for his team in the second half as USA delivered a barrage of corners.
Over 90 minutes, the United star completed 94 touches, completing 88 per cent of his passes. He registered eight successful long balls while winning five duels.
Despite yesterday’s stalemate, England are in a strong position to make the round of 16 stage. Only a heavy 4-0 loss to Wales in the final group game would end their chances.
That would also depend on USA or Iran winning the other group fixture. In our view, that seems a distant prospect with the poor form of Wales in the current World Cup campaign.
Both Maguire and Shaw have been ever-present for the Three Lions in the opening two group stage games. Marcus Rashford has been preferred as a substitute.
It remains to be seen whether Gareth Southgate will tinker with his starting XI against Wales. We would love to see Rashford get the nod on the left wing on Tuesday.
Stats from SofaScore.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract
- Manchester United: Sao Paulo make stance clear on Casemiro transfer
- Mason Greenwood harbours no great desire to play for Manchester United again
- Man Utd join Arsenal in race to sign Besiktas wonderkid Semih Kilicsoy
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Kambwala starts
- ‘He’s unstoppable’: Erik ten Hag defends Man Utd winger Antony