Manchester United defender Harry Maguire produced one of his best performances of the season during the 2-1 Premier League win over Aston Villa on Sunday.
The centre-back had a new defensive partner in Raphael Varane at Villa Park after Lisandro Martinez sustained a knee injury in the 3-0 victory over West Ham United.
Maguire made his mark with a fantastic performance. He was responsible for the early goal from Rasmus Hojlund with a quality headed assist into the Dane’s path.
Douglas Luiz managed to pull Villa level in the 67th minute despite United’s strong defensive showing, but Scott McTominay won the game for the club off the bench.
It was the second late winner from McTominay in the Premier League this term, but Maguire was undoubtedly the man of the match for his all-round display.
Aside from his assist, Maguire won a stunning 11 out of his 12 duels – a success rate of 92 per cent.
He also made five clearances and four tackles (100 per cent) while managing 80 touches and 47 passes.
The Englishman, who was valued at £40 million by United last summer, had his critics at the start of the season, but he has certainly been performing at a high level – either side of his groin injury.
The victory over Villa on the road has put United right in the mix for the Champions League places. They are now only six points behind fourth-placed Tottenham Hotspur.
The club are also five points adrift of Villa. The fifth place team could also make the Champions League if the English clubs go all the way and win the European competitions this term.
United will return to action against Luton Town on the road on Sunday. It promises to be a thrilling contest with Rob Edwards’ side being attack-minded side too.
The reverse fixture ended in a slender 1-0 win for the Red Devils, and the fans will be hoping for a more convincing victory against the Hatters at Kenilworth Road.
Stats from WhoScored.com & Sofascore.com
- Gleison Bremer shows why Man Utd want to sign him this summer
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow