Manchester United defender Harry Maguire will be assured of his World Cup spot by England manager Gareth Southgate, according to The Mirror.
The centre-back has had a tough beginning to the campaign. He lost his starting spot to Raphael Varane and Lisandro Martinez earlier this season and is currently nursing a muscle injury.
Maguire should return to full fitness in the coming weeks, but there are no assurances that he will become a regular starter in the Premier League under manager Erik ten Hag,
Southgate has previously said that playing time will be considered for national team selection, but it is reported that Maguire will be treated as a ‘special case’, given his importance.
The 29-year-old played a leading role for England en route to the World Cup semi-final in 2018. He was also a pivotal figure in their run to the Euro 2020 final against Italy last summer.
Maguire expected to make England squad on November 10
Southgate is due to pick his squad on November 10 and he will have some big decisions to make. Injuries will obviously play some part. Kyle Walker is one of those doubtful after a groin surgery.
From the United ranks, Maguire should be a confirmed pick in the 26-man squad, provided he is fully fit. The £27 million-rated star is regarded as an undisputed starter at the heart of England’s backline.
Luke Shaw should be another front-runner to make the squad. He was a surprise pick after a foot injury last month, but made a good impact against Germany, scoring one of the goals in the 3-3 draw.
Shaw also bagged the opener in the Euro 2020 final. Barring any setback, he should be in Qatar.
Apart from the duo, Marcus Rashford could make the cut, having been transformed under Ten Hag. He has five goals and three assists from just nine appearances across all competitions this season.
Jadon Sancho was also in the reckoning during the last international break, but his recent drop in form probably makes it difficult for him to convince Southgate ahead of the major showpiece next month.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- ‘He’s unstoppable’: Erik ten Hag defends Man Utd winger Antony
- Fresh injury concerns for Ten Hag as Varane, Fernandes & Maguire could miss Forest match
- Man Utd consider Antonio Silva as ideal candidate to strengthen their defence
- Preview: Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United – stats, team news, line-ups
- Man United players requested Sunday off after Fulham loss
- Incoming Man United CEO Omar Berrada already meeting senior executives while on gardening leave
- ‘He’s available’: Erik ten Hag confirms Casemiro is fit to face Nottingham Forest
- Simone Inzaghi on Manchester United radar as enquiries made over Italian manager
- Eric Ramsay leaves Manchester United to become Minnesota head coach
- Man Utd prepared to listen to offers for Antony, willing to cut their losses