Manchester United defender Harry Maguire will be assured of his World Cup spot by England manager Gareth Southgate, according to The Mirror.
The centre-back has had a tough beginning to the campaign. He lost his starting spot to Raphael Varane and Lisandro Martinez earlier this season and is currently nursing a muscle injury.
Maguire should return to full fitness in the coming weeks, but there are no assurances that he will become a regular starter in the Premier League under manager Erik ten Hag,
Southgate has previously said that playing time will be considered for national team selection, but it is reported that Maguire will be treated as a ‘special case’, given his importance.
The 29-year-old played a leading role for England en route to the World Cup semi-final in 2018. He was also a pivotal figure in their run to the Euro 2020 final against Italy last summer.
Maguire expected to make England squad on November 10
Southgate is due to pick his squad on November 10 and he will have some big decisions to make. Injuries will obviously play some part. Kyle Walker is one of those doubtful after a groin surgery.
From the United ranks, Maguire should be a confirmed pick in the 26-man squad, provided he is fully fit. The £27 million-rated star is regarded as an undisputed starter at the heart of England’s backline.
Luke Shaw should be another front-runner to make the squad. He was a surprise pick after a foot injury last month, but made a good impact against Germany, scoring one of the goals in the 3-3 draw.
Shaw also bagged the opener in the Euro 2020 final. Barring any setback, he should be in Qatar.
Apart from the duo, Marcus Rashford could make the cut, having been transformed under Ten Hag. He has five goals and three assists from just nine appearances across all competitions this season.
Jadon Sancho was also in the reckoning during the last international break, but his recent drop in form probably makes it difficult for him to convince Southgate ahead of the major showpiece next month.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Fabrizio Romano confirms Dean Henderson is close to Nottingham Forest transfer
- Victor Lindelof set to be offered fresh terms by Man Utd, Erik ten Hag wants to keep him
- Man Utd keeping tabs on Leon Goretzka amid Bayern’s pursuit of Declan Rice
- Man Utd step up interest in signing Atalanta sensation Rasmus Hojlund
- Glazers give green light to pursue deal for Chelsea star Mason Mount
- Man United keeping tabs on Chicago Fire midfielder Brian Gutierrez
- Jack Butland completes Rangers medical as Man United exit all but confirmed
- Kim Min-jae ready to say yes to Man Utd, €7m per year deal proposed
- Man Utd could return for Barcelona star Ansu Fati as Ten Hag eyes another left winger
- Man Utd closely following Sporting defender Goncalo Inacio