Manchester United midfielder Hannibal Mejbri produced a terrific cameo appearance during the 3-1 Premier League defeat to Brighton & Hove Albion on Saturday.
The Tunisian played in a couple of friendlies for United in pre-season, but he did not make a single appearance for the club before the September international break.
There were claims that Besiktas could sign him on loan, but a deal did not materialise.
Mejbri finally got his chance to impress manager Erik ten Hag today. He came off shortly after the hour mark, and scored a consolation goal with a sublime long-range strike.
Aside from his goal, the 20-year-old completed 100 per cent of his passes and dribbles, winning foul duels. He won two fouls and made one tackle while losing possession only once.
The youngster is highly-rated by the club’s faithful and he showed plenty of character with his terrific cameo. Mejbri was fired up for the challenge against the Seagulls.
In our opinion, he should have started the game ahead of Scott McTominay, who was poor in midfield.
The Scot completed only 15 passes until he was substituted during the closing minutes. He won only two ground duels and was hardly in the game for the Red Devils.
United were on a stunning 31-match unbeaten run at Old Trafford, but the streak came to an end in a poor fashion. The club have no time to ponder over the result.
The Red Devils face a tough challenge against Bayern Munich away from home in their first Champions League group stage game on Wednesday night.
If Mason Mount is unfit, we would prefer to see Mejbri starting in the centre of the park ahead of McTominay, who did not provide any offensive threat today.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns