Manchester United midfielder Hannibal Mejbri could become a regular starter under manager Erik ten Hag after a fine performance against Burnley in the Premier League.
The youngster was handed a surprise start at Turf Moor on Saturday night, and made the best use of the opportunity. He was brilliant with his pressing for the majority of the game.
The Tunisian had a passing accuracy of 91 per cent, winning four duels and two tackles. His energy on the pitch definitely impressed fans. 11 per cent nominated him for the man of the match.
Speaking after the game, Ten Hag was also full of praise of Mejbri and said that he did a ‘perfect job’ and and his pressing alongside Rasmus Hojlund was ‘excellent’ on the night.
He told Manutd.com: “Like tonight, Hannibal, who did a perfect job. He brought what I hoped he could do, and I’ve seen it in pre-season, he brings a lot of energy to the team. His pressing with Rasmus Hojlund was very good. It was excellent.”
Mejbri had good pre-season with the Red Devils, but he did not feature in the first few weeks of the campaign amid speculation that he could be sold by the club.
However, Ten Hag eventually made the choice to keep him, and the decision was the right one. Mejbri scored a superb long-range goal versus Brighton recently in a losing cause.
Ten Hag resisted the temptation to start him at Bayern Munich, but Mejbri made the XI last night. He produced a performance that could boost his chances of becoming a regular.
The manager went with a 4-3-3 formation which changed to 4-2-3-1 in attack. Mejbri occupied a central attacking midfield role. He should retain his spot in the forthcoming games.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions