Guardiola is apparently keen on Rooney after long admiring his talents. Once labelling Rooney as ‘one of the greatest players in the World’. Guardiola would be willing to pay an asking price in the region of £20m for the 27 year old according to various reports.
Franz Beckenbauer has thrown his support behind the transfer saying “I would be very, very happy if Wayne Rooney decided to come to Bayern Munich”
Bobby Charlton on the other hand doubts a deal for Rooney could be reached saying “Sir Alex Ferguson came out and said that he had no intention of letting Wayne Rooney go anywhere. You have to abide by that and I believe it, 100%. He is a great player – why should we get rid of a great player?”
Would a coach with Guardiola’s philosophy really be keen to take a player with such limited ball skills as Rooney?
I think Rooney is finally, somewhat belatedly, leaving United and for those who don’t like that or won’t accept it I think you need to start preparing yourselves for it because if there are clubs and managers out there who fancy his name or his ability then there’ll be sure to test United with a bid in the knowledge that he has only has 2yrs left on his contract and the possibility that all may not be well with his relationship with the boss.
Such is life today that Rooney’s name will sell (and his face, somehow!), mix that with his undoubted ability to score goals and you get a few clubs willing to pay his ridiculous wages. Clubs such as City (although I doubt there’ll bother), PSG, Zenit, and Chelsea etc could all extravagantly splash the cash with other clubs such as Bayern, Madrid and Barcelona capable of luring him on a smaller wage IF they fancied him. We could even do very well out of it if it turns into a minor bidding war and it would create space for a carefully selected new face.
I’m sure the rumours will die down for a few weeks but gather pace again in May, in the mean time we can enjoy arguing the case ‘for-and-against’ his departure right here or in the forum and also put your money where your mouth is by having a bet on thebetting market for Rooney’s next club with bwin.
Who replaces Rooney WHEN he leaves? Lewandowski?
- ‘He’s unstoppable’: Erik ten Hag defends Man Utd winger Antony
- Fresh injury concerns for Ten Hag as Varane, Fernandes & Maguire could miss Forest match
- Man Utd consider Antonio Silva as ideal candidate to strengthen their defence
- Preview: Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United – stats, team news, line-ups
- Man United players requested Sunday off after Fulham loss
- Incoming Man United CEO Omar Berrada already meeting senior executives while on gardening leave
- ‘He’s available’: Erik ten Hag confirms Casemiro is fit to face Nottingham Forest
- Simone Inzaghi on Manchester United radar as enquiries made over Italian manager
- Eric Ramsay leaves Manchester United to become Minnesota head coach
- Man Utd prepared to listen to offers for Antony, willing to cut their losses