Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has his sights on winning the FA Cup against Manchester City next weekend after qualifying for the Champions League.
The Red Devils secured their top four spot in the Premier League last night following a resounding 4-1 win over Chelsea at Old Trafford.
They will face Fulham in the final game of the league season at home before taking on Pep Guardiola’s side in the FA Cup final at Wembley.
Speaking after yesterday’s result, Ten Hag said that he is looking forward to the Manchester derby and the club will do everything in their power to win it.
The Dutch tactician acknowledged that United have a great opportunity to win the famous old competition but have to be well-prepared for the final.
He told Manutd.com: “So I think this is my job to be involved. So, yeah, we have to work on the squad a bit. You already said it and next week [is] going to be big and huge, and we will do everything in our power.”
“It’s not [going to] be easy, but yeah, we have to get well-prepared and give us the best chance to get that cup. We have a great opportunity and you don’t get such opportunities so often. And then, of course, we are working in the background.”
United are currently on 72 points after 37 games played. They leapfrogged Newcastle to third in the table yesterday after the Magpies’ goalless draw versus Leicester City.
They have the opportunity to cement the position against Fulham. The club need to match the Magpies’ result at Chelsea but Ten Hag will expect another league win.
The Red Devils have accumulated 26 victories at Old Trafford this campaign and a 27th on Sunday would match the current club-record set during the 2002/03 season.
Hence, we can expect the manager to pick his best possible line-up. The game could be used as a warm-up ahead of the Wembley showdown against City on June 3.
United have already beaten their arch-rivals once this campaign and should go into the final with plenty of optimism. A four-match winning streak would boost their confidence.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd decide against permanent deals for Wout Weghorst and Marcel Sabitzer
- ‘World-class’ Bruno Fernandes should get captaincy next season without question
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United
- Feyenoord lining up fresh proposal for Man Utd starlet Amad Diallo
- Man Utd readying big-money offer for Goncalo Ramos but Roger Schmidt hopes to keep him
- Manchester United in 2023/24 – Expectations, Predictions and Betting odds
- Erik ten Hag opens up on striker plans, David de Gea & Harry Maguire
- Marcus Rashford wins two major end-of-season awards for Manchester United
- Manchester United eliminate club crest from third kit for the 2023/24 season