Spanish club Granada fear that Alvaro Fernandez could be recalled from his season-long loan deal by Manchester United amid transfer interest from Benfica, according to A Bola.
Fernandez was involved for the Red Devils in the early part of pre-season, but the decision was made to loan him out after the club signed Sergio Reguilon on loan from Tottenham Hotspur.
The 20-year-old has since managed just over 500 minutes for Granada in all competitions and COPE report that the La Liga club fear that United could activate the break clause in his loan deal.
A Bola have added to the story by claiming that Benfica are planning to hold talks with the Spaniard and United over a permanent transfer. Granada are unlikely to compete financially.
It has previously been reported that Benfica value him at around €7 million, but United could accept a lesser fee from them, provided they are prepared to include a sell-on clause.
Fernandez could leave United on a permanent basis
The Spaniard’s current contract with United expires at the end of the campaign, and the hierarchy have yet to trigger an extension clause to keep him for another 12 months.
This is an indication that they are prepared to listen to offers this month. The club may not see him as part of their future plans and could sanction his sale in the coming weeks.
A move to Benfica could be a good one for both the player and United. Fernandez could be assured with consistent game time with the Primeira Liga outfit ready to offload David Jurasek.
If he goes on to make a huge impression, United could directly benefit from a future transfer with a sell-on clause. The club should also consider including a possible buy-back option.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow