Sporting Lisbon defender Goncalo Inacio would be interested in a move to Manchester United this summer, according to O Jogo (page 12).
The 21-year-old is one of the best young centre-backs in Portuguese football and he is widely expected to leave Sporting at the end of the campaign.
United, Liverpool and Newcastle have already made contact with his agent Miguel Pinho and O Jogo claim that he is tempted by the ‘top project’ at Old Trafford.
The Red Devils are looking for a replacement for Harry Maguire in the off-season. It is reported that Inacio would be interested to join if United make an approach.
Man Utd likely to land a new centre-back
Maguire looks likely to head for the exit door this summer and manager Erik ten Hag could prefer to sign a young central defender with room for improvement.
Inacio would be a shrewd signing for the Red Devils, considering his relatively young age and a low release clause of €45 million in his current contract.
Sporting have reportedly tried to increase the valuation to €60m but they have been unsuccessful.
Inacio is a left-footed centre-back and he could be seen as Lisandro Martinez’s deputy next term.
The Portuguese is a strong ball-playing defender. He has completed 62 passes per appearance this season with a pass accuracy of 90 per cent.
The defender has also won 1.1 tackles, 1.3 interceptions and 3.8 duels on average. He has also been effective in clearing his lines for the Lisbon side.
Hence, he would prove a good piece of business for United. They must open talks with Sporting soon, considering Liverpool’s knack for making early signings.
Newcastle are also mentioned as contenders to land Inacio but it has already been reported that he has no plans of joining them in the next transfer window.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Sofascore.com
- Man Utd in pole position in Kim Min-jae race but PSG could explore deal for him
- ‘Above all’: Man Utd leading race to sign Rasmus Hojlund, need to make ‘big offer’
- Man Utd provide ‘strong competition’ in race to sign AZ Alkmaar forward Jesper Karlsson
- Man Utd boss ten Hag deems Victor Lindelof ‘untouchable’
- PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi playing significant role in Manchester United takeover bid
- Stats show why Kim Min-jae is the perfect signing for Man Utd over Axel Disasi
- Sheikh Jassim will not end interest in Manchester United if Friday deadline passes
- Manchester United finalising proposal to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd linked with Juventus star Federico Chiesa who could be sold for €30-35m
- Manchester United consider loaning out Mason Greenwood next season