Manchester United owners, the Glazer family, would walk away from the club if they receive around £3.75 billion from potential suitors, according to Daily Mail.
The Red Devils made a poor start to the current season with back-to-back defeats, and this led to fierce protests from the fans ahead of the Premier League game against Liverpool.
This definitely played a part in the big-money signings of Casemiro and Antony. United have won four games on the trot since, but there remains criticism over the current ownership.
The debts are currently amounting to around £600 million while Old Trafford needs to be modernised. Amidst this, the Glazers continue to take dividends of around £11m half yearly.
It is now reported that a package of £3.75bn could prise away United from the Glazers. The fee potentially rules out wealthy individuals but the Dubai emirate could reportedly be keen.
Manchester City and Newcastle United are currently owned by the sovereign wealth funds of Abu Dhabi and Saudi Arabia while Paris Saint-Germain have a similar ownership in Qatar.
Glazers could eventually walk away from United
The Glazers have faced increased fan criticism since the club’s initial involvement in the European Super Cup. The protests have since continued and this could contemplate them to sell.
So far, there has been no proposal to meet the reported price tag. Sir Jim Ratcliffe had signalled his intention to buy the club last month, but there has been no progress whatsoever since.
It is quite clear that it would require a consortium for Sir Jim to takeover. On the other hand, the Dubai emirate have the funds to buy the club right away if they are seriously interested.
Whether they make a move remains to be seen. If an approach is made, it may not be straightforward, considering the Premier League will conduct an Owners’ and Directors’ test first.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Omonia Nicosia 2-3 Manchester United: Three talking points as Marcus Rashford continues his stellar form
- Erik ten Hag reveals his plans for Anthony Martial after injury comeback
- Three Man Utd stars with a big point to prove against Omonia
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Omonia, Ronaldo and Martial start
- Manchester United’s Five Greatest European Performances
- Man Utd include Iqbal and Garnacho in 22-man squad for Omonia clash
- Four Man Utd stars miss training ahead of Omonia Nicosia clash
- Man Utd should sign Goncalo Ramos as Cristiano Ronaldo’s replacement in January
- Europa League Preview: Omonia Nicosia vs Manchester United
- Saudi PIF were offered 30% stake in Man Utd before Newcastle takeover – The Athletic