Manchester United look set for a busy end to the summer transfer window as they aim to bring in reinforcements in multiple positions.
They have already spent over €166 million on new signings with the arrivals of Tyrell Malacia (€17m), Christian Eriksen (free), Lisandro Martinez (€67m) and Casemiro (€82m).
Their spending spree is set to extend beyond €250m with the €100m acquisition of Antony, but the club are still considering as many as four signings before the deadline.
A back-up goalkeeper, a right-back, a midfielder and a forward are among possible targets for United, but this should have been done much earlier in the transfer window.
Glazers have been known for haggling over transfer valuations over the years, and we have had another firm example this year in the case of both Martinez and Antony.
Earlier in June, the duo were available for a combined fee in the region of €140m, as per Mike Verweij, but the decision to prolong negotiations has set them a loss of €27m.
While this won’t be a concern for a club of United’s calibre, but the main worry is whether that would have any impact in their pursuit of last-minute reinforcements.
Clubs will be aware that United are willing to pay premium prices for their players. We won’t be surprised if the Red Devils end up meeting high valuations in desperation.
This is something which they could have clearly avoided by doing their transfer business early and the blame should go to the Glazers, who only reacted after two dismal defeats.
United are bound to continue their spending spree before Thursday’s 11pm deadline, but one may feel that the club would have started the season far better with all signings on-board.
Barring Antony, any other new signing may require several training sessions to adapt to Erik ten Hag’s system. The Dutchman would have ideally wanted them ready for the campaign.
- The Latest Man United Transfer News & Rumours
- Napoli ace Kim Min-jae moves out of his house, expected to join Man Utd after military training
- Fabrizio Romano confirms Dean Henderson is close to Nottingham Forest transfer
- Victor Lindelof set to be offered fresh terms by Man Utd, Erik ten Hag wants to keep him
- Man Utd keeping tabs on Leon Goretzka amid Bayern’s pursuit of Declan Rice
- Man Utd step up interest in signing Atalanta sensation Rasmus Hojlund
- Glazers give green light to pursue deal for Chelsea star Mason Mount
- Man United keeping tabs on Chicago Fire midfielder Brian Gutierrez
- Jack Butland completes Rangers medical as Man United exit all but confirmed
- Kim Min-jae ready to say yes to Man Utd, €7m per year deal proposed