The Glazers have reportedly identified their preferred bidder for the Manchester United takeover.
British billionaire Sir Jim Ratcliffe and Qatari banker Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad al-Thani are the two main candidates to take over the Premier League giants.
It has been more than six months since the Glazers put the club up for sale with three rounds of bidding having already taken place.
But the process has reportedly taken a significant step forward and the American owners are expected to confirm the winning bid within days.
According to the Sun, Ratcliffe is the Glazers’ preferred bidder. A successful takeover by the INEOS group would mean co-chairman Joel and Avram Glazer remain at the club.
However, the rest of United’s top brass including chief executive Richard Arnold are expected to leave under their ownership.
United fans will not be happy
Man United fans want to get rid of the Glazers, who have left the club saddled with massive debts.
Ratcliffe’s plans to keep Joel and Avram at the club will anger the supporters.
Retaining a minority stake would leave the Glazers without any control over club operations, but they would still be paid dividends as shareholders.
Sheikh Jassim’s ownership would also not be without flaws, but the Qatari banker wants a complete takeover leaving the Glazers with no role at the club.
He is willing to make United debt free and ready to invest in the club’s infrastructure, making him the preferred option.
- Man Utd in pole position in Kim Min-jae race but PSG could explore deal for him
- ‘Above all’: Man Utd leading race to sign Rasmus Hojlund, need to make ‘big offer’
- Man Utd provide ‘strong competition’ in race to sign AZ Alkmaar forward Jesper Karlsson
- Man Utd boss ten Hag deems Victor Lindelof ‘untouchable’
- PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi playing significant role in Manchester United takeover bid
- Stats show why Kim Min-jae is the perfect signing for Man Utd over Axel Disasi
- Sheikh Jassim will not end interest in Manchester United if Friday deadline passes
- Manchester United finalising proposal to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd linked with Juventus star Federico Chiesa who could be sold for €30-35m
- Manchester United consider loaning out Mason Greenwood next season