Manchester United head into the international break on the back of their second defeat of the 2023-24 Premier League campaign following a 3-1 loss to Arsenal at Emirates Stadium on Sunday.
The Red Devils opened the scoring through Marcus Rashford after 27 minutes but were immediately pegged back by the Gunners, with captain Martin Odegaard quickly drawing his side level.
Both sides came close to restoring their lead in the second half, and Man United thought they had done so after Alejandro Garnacho found the back of the net in the 88th minute.
However, VAR chalked off the goal as replays suggested that the Argentine was marginally offside.
Declan Rice and Gabriel Jesus scored in the fifth and tenth minutes of added time to deliver a huge blow to the visitors.
Man United were unlucky to lose the game as they deserved to leave with at least a point, and most of their players did fairly well.
Former United star Gary Neville was impressed with the performance of Portuguese left-back Diogo Dalot, singling him out for praise while on commentary duties during the game.
“Dalot has been impeccable defensively,” Neville said on Sky Sports.
The 24-year-old was handed his second start of the season at left-back with Luke Shaw unavailable due to an injury, and he kept Bukayo Saka quiet all day.
Man United have signed Sergio Reguilon on loan for the season as manager Erik ten Hag looks to bolster his options in the position, but Dalot will hold on to his berth as long as he keeps performing as he did today.
The Red Devils have won two and lost two of their opening four league games this term, with both defeats coming on the road against top teams, and Ten Hag quickly needs to address plenty of things within his squad.
Man United return to action on September 16 against Brighton & Hove Albion, and Rasmus Hojlund could start while Sofyan Amrabat may make his Premier League debut, handing the side a huge boost.
- Preview: Burnley vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Burnley boss Vincent Kompany lauds ‘extremely capable’ Erik ten Hag ahead of Man Utd clash
- Kie Plumley announces he has joined Manchester United
- Erik ten Hag should start Alejandro Garnacho vs Burnley after lively cameo
- Man Utd midfielder Christian Eriksen delivers frustrating display vs Bayern
- Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana owns up to his catastrophic error against Bayern Munich
- Bayern Munich 4-3 Manchester United: Player ratings as Andre Onana and Christian Eriksen disappoint massively
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bayern Munich, Pellistri starts
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim reluctant to raise their bids for Manchester United following their poor start to 2023-24
- ‘Would have signed anything’: Brazilian midfielder reveals chat with Sir Alex Ferguson convinced him to join Man Utd